View blog reactions Waiting for Speedway Fowler: Mammoth Mart

Saturday, July 22, 2006

 

Mammoth Mart

When I was a little kid, I used to go with my grandparents to Howard Johnson's for lunch, and then we'd often stop at Mammoth Mart.



Mammoth Mart isn't there anymore. It's a Discount Liquor Superstore.

Mammoth was one of the regional retailers that ruled the roost back in the 60's and, to a lesser extent, the 70's and 80's. Some of the others were Bradlee's, Leichmere, Zayre's, Giant, Caldor, JM Fields, Spree... there were a lot of them.

WalMart ran a lot of them out of business. Others fell victim to changing times and fashions. They just weren't sophisticated enough to stick around.

Every time I drive by that liquor store, I think about Mammoth Mart, and Howard Johnsons, and my grandparents.

I have to say, WalMart and Applebees don't really seem like a step up.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?